Thursday, February 05, 2009

Reggie Kester

As 2008 came to a close, I lost a mentor and friend, leaving me with an empty, lost feeling but with fond memories of a solid friendship that spanned more than 30 years. Reggie was what all good mentors are: he was inspirational and genuine.

In the late 1970’s, he took extra time to help a wayward young man that he never quit calling “Rowdy.” In those days, I worked hard to live up to the name, and Reggie spent days working to keep me out of the Ardmore and Texoma jails, in horseshoeing school, and on task.

As the years passed, our relationship developed and changed. He went from seeing me as a wild, semi-talented kid to seeing me as one of his own that had “made good” and made him proud. I never quit thinking of him as my mentor and teacher.

Maybe anyone could have taught me the basics of farriery, but Reggie taught me to respect it, to share it, and never to take it for granted. Reggie and I didn’t sit on the phone and chat regularly or even often, but he was one of my best and greatest friends.

He was quiet, patient, and humble. Like a lot of others who learned from Reggie, I often felt that he knew it all, but what made him great was that he knew he didn’t.

There’s an empty spot in my heart, in Ardmore, in the AFA, and in the horseshoeing world. Reggie’s gone.

Danvers Child, AFA CJF, OSHS Grad ’78

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found this site using [url=http://google.com]google.com[/url] And i want to thank you for your work. You have done really very good site. Great work, great site! Thank you!

Sorry for offtopic

11/12/2009 8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

1/06/2010 3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home