Sunday, June 11, 2006

More Natural Balance Complaining...

I consider Gene Ovnicek to be a good friend, and I admire his efforts, his work, his knowledge, and his integrity. We need more people like Gene in this profession, people who are innovative and passionate about improving farriery. But I just can't stand his shoes! Easing breakover is one of the key concepts that drives this design, but I don't buy it. Look at where the breakover is in this photo. The poor horse had to fight against the design of these shoes to build his true breakover into the lateral toe; thankfully, they were aluminum, and he could get it worn in before the last week of the shoeing cycle. But it gets back to one of my many pet peeves.... In the process of easing or facilitating breakover, we are always going to end up orienting and directing that breakover. Subsequently, if we get it in the wrong spot, we're not easing breakover at all; in fact, we're more than likely delaying breakover, and we're more than likely creating stress and strain as well. That's the problem with NBS shoes, and it's the problem with the way the majority of people apply rockered toes....

photo credit: iHorseshoe

5 Comments:

Anonymous Bruce Wilderoter said...

Amen!! When I rock toes, which I do on all front feet, I rock to the center of breakover. If a horse breaks over to the outside toe I rock the shoe to the outside toe. One practicle result is that I get more resets out of a pair of shoes because they are not warn out as rapidly. Some horses needed new shoes every time. After rocking the toes to the center of breakover they could be reset 2-3 times.

6/22/2006 8:04 PM  
Anonymous Josh said...

Danvers,
While I agree these aluminum NB shoes did not seem to work in the horses best interests initially, the NB steel shoes have a continuously rolled edge that would allow this sort of unidirectional breakover, sort of like a st croix eventer. Wouldnt you agree?

12/16/2006 4:46 AM  
Blogger Danvers Child, CJF said...

Bruce and Josh,
Thanks for your comments! I'm kinda slow about getting this blog maintained at times, but it's nice to get feedback.

12/16/2006 11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wish I had thought of the term "Natural Balance"... I would have made all that money by deceiving the public into thinking I had engineered an anatomically correct appliance that is useful for correcting every known ill of the equine foot.
But then.. I'd have trouble sleeping at night because I would have known it is a bold-faced lie that has permeated the industry. It has done to horseshoeing what Brokeback Mountain did for the cowboy hat.

2/24/2007 1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm s Ferrier with very little experience, when do the NB shoes should be used, & do roping horses really need them?

1/20/2008 5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home